Monday, December 12, 2011

Tree Removal

Tree removal can be a touchy subject with some people, and I am gradually becoming one of those people. I used to not have a problem cutting down a tree if it would give me the ability to grow grass better. After a while I started looking into environmental programs. I have since partnered the golf course with the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program (ACSP). We are not a Certified Cooperative Sanctuary yet. Hopefully with some effort we will get there some day. I am getting a little off topic though.

I am making an effort not to fully remove trees unless there is no alternative. The rule for me is if the tree may pose bodily harm or harm to personal property it must be removed. Live trees serve a function as well as dead trees. Dead trees have a function? Yes, they are a food source to insects, and the insects are a food source to birds and bats. Dead trees also serve as shelter to animals and insects such as honey bees. Now I have to really judge the situation before we decide to remove a tree.

Unfortunately, I had to remove a tree on #14 Friday. The tree had been losing many large limbs in high winds. Upon further investigation the tree was about 90% rotten. The tree was to the point where it had to be removed. When we cut the tree down a opossum came running out of it. Unfortunately we removed the opossum's home but we also removed a risk for our patrons and neighbors. Below are some pictures of how far gone the tree was.

If you would like more information about the ACSP please visit www.auduboninternational.org.



1 comment: